jeudi 25 juin 2015

Get Messy Season of Adventure || 04

I was quite busy this week working on a secret project (more on that tomorrow). This was a fun quick, spread. For this one, I went with the first prompt, about wanderlust and not using your scissors.
 

I really wanted an exotic feel to these pages. Hence, palm trees. I've seen palm trees in my travels in Asia and South Africa and South America too.
 

For me, wanderlust and travel happens in trying out the local cuisine, of opening one's self to a new culture around the meal (the preparation, the sharing and tasting of the food and the clean-up afterward). The flavors, perfumes and textures of the food of the different places I have been stay with me.
 
 
I'm not a poet (that would be my sister!) so it's more a free-form collection of thoughts.


 
This first spread inspired a second one about Hong Kong where I lived for four years.
 

That experience taught me a lot, about myself and how I'm capable of adapting even when it's not easy. The first year was tough, going from working mother to stay at home wife was really hard for me. Even my identity card said 'wife of [...]'.
 

Taai taai: Cantonese (n.), literally, “Madam-Madam”. Used in Hong Kong as a shorthand for socialite, e.g., the “ladies who lunch” or ''the kept housewife''.
 

But I got through it, met some lovely people, had unforgettable experiences and lived the whole thing fully. Lucky me indeed.


note: after I took these photos, I decided these pages needed a little more color and I added some pops of persimmon ink. You'll notice these on my Instagram but I didn't re-shoot these photos (I lost the light!)
 
**************************
 

 
Get Messy Art Journal is gang of crafty vixens who are sharing art journal pages we have created to practice our skills and push past our creative limits with hopes to inspire. We support and encourage one another on this journey of creating and learning and we would love for you to join us too.
 

8 commentaires:

  1. I love your 'lucky you' page, I always enjoy more personal pages and learning about peoples lives.. I really should do it more myself! :)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. it's not always easy, but i feel that personal pages have more depth

      Supprimer
    2. Yup - it puts the 'journal' into 'art journal' !

      Supprimer
  2. That's very interesting about that taai taai thing. That must be such as different way of life for someone used to working. Very difficult to get your head round. I wonder if it felt purposeless. Or perhaps it was lovely to have a break. I am inspired to make a page out of magazines now. Cannot wait for the big reveal of your new exciting venture.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. it was really hard! I'd always identified as an archaeologist and worked hard to get where i was. And to suddenly not have anything to take pride in, that was tough.

      Supprimer
  3. I love being able to read a bit more about the back story to your beautiful pages. Having recently left my job to be at home with my daughter, I'm having a bit of an identity crisis... can't imagine doing that in another country! At the same time, I find myself feeling so lucky to have options. As for this secret project... can't wait to hear more!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. yes, it is hard to find yourself when you are rearing a young one. Not enough time for sleep, let alone self-discovery! But, it does get better and you get so much from the children too.

      Supprimer
  4. I really like your page both tropical and feminine. And the notion of "the housekept wife" is interesting.

    RépondreSupprimer

Template designed by Rainy Day