samedi 16 mai 2015

V's 52 portraits || 20





Vampires
 
I'm a fan of the Vampire. Not the Twilight/Vampire Diaries vampires, although I did read and watched those. Not the Vampirism-as-virus type although I read The Strain and I Am Legend (great book, awful movie) and watched 30 Days of Night. Not the vampire as animal True Blood type (although I thoroughly enjoy watching that show). No, I'm a Anne Rice-gothic-romantic-spleen-cut-wide-open-doomed-love-forever-trying-to-adapt type of vampire lover.
 
My love for the vampire boils down to a few facts. 1- I would love to be immortal. I'm a great believer in humanity. Despite all odds and current state of affairs, I believe that humanity will thrive and evolve and oh how I would love to bear witness to that evolution! When Marius sees Boticelli paint the Birth of Venus in the Vampire Chronicles, I had chills down my back. Imagine witnessing humanity emerge from the Dark Ages.
 
2- As a woman, I would love to have unlimited strength and have absolutely no fear of anyone hurting me. I wonder how that would change me? To have that freedom, to have no fear of consequences. Plus the never aging thing.
 
3- Finally, over time, the Vampire as I see it becomes Love. A being that transcends petty fights and mortal shells, a being who sees the other inside. I love that idea. When Coppola made his movie Bram Stoker's Dracula, this is the idea he was conveying, this was at the root of that first vampire : love lost, a being out of time, cast away following the loss of his love. I'm a romantic, I admit it!
 
I grouped my favorites in this portrait. They are (top to bottom):
- Salem's Lot by Stephen King (old school creepy vampire)
- The Vampyre by Tom Holland (a retelling of Lord Byron's life)
- Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (the one that started it all)
- Let the right on in by J. A. Lindqvist (1000 times more terrifying than the movies)
- Dracula by Bram Stoker (Victorian gothic vampirism at its best)
- Prince Lestat by Anne Rice (the more recent of the Vampire Chronicles)
- The Twelve by Justin Cronin (the second part of The Passage trilogy -excellent)
- The Historian by Elizabeth Kustova (a masterpiece)
(not pictured is I am Legend by Richard Matheson, a truly worthwhile novella where the tables are turned on humans)


1 commentaire:

Template designed by Rainy Day