jeudi 23 avril 2015

Get Messy Season of Brave || 03

Hello Brave Get Messians! I have to say that this week's prompt was very, very à propos for me (thanks Julia!). I suddenly realised that we are moving to Beijing in little more than a year. I will be honest and say that a lot about this is scary to me. So I decided to journal about that. I made a second zine because I feel that this theme can be better explored in this format.
 
 
I used images of Chinese legendary women. They are various heroines from traditional song, poems and stories. I thought they were badass and they would help carry my message. The zine is a dialogue between my fears and these women.



 
I wrote the words on my Dymo label maker and added the punched neon circles for color. I thought the boldness of these elements would make a strong statement against the soft lines of the women.
 



On the right, you will recognise the one and only Hua Mulan, charging into battle on her horse.



 
This last page is my favorite because it is a happy accident. I ran out of tape with 'You can'. The slashes and the V are a fluke as I was demonstrating my label maker to a friend. Love it when serendipity shows up like this.

 
They say naming your fears helps you overcome them. And I must admit I feel much better about what is coming now that I've arted it out. Keeping this zine close for when I need a reminder.
 
************************************
 

 
Get Messy Art Journal is gang of crafty vixens who are sharing art journal pages we have created to practice our skills and push past our creative limits with hopes to inspire. We support and encourage one another on this journey of creating and learning and we would love for you to join us too.

7 commentaires:

  1. It's funny how we can find the answers to our fears within ourselves! This is so stunning. While I'm sure you'll thrive in your next adventure, this will surely bring comfort when the tough days arise.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks Delaney. That's how I feel about it. I really love the process of putting your fears out there, cleaning house so to speak, to fill yourself up with strength and determination.

      Supprimer
  2. This format is brilliant - the questions and answers to yourself, a little internal monologue... Perfect! I'm so glad you liked the prompt :) :) your response is so good! You seriously need to start selling these Zines!!! :D And you're moving to Beijing! Amazing! And I think you WILL thrive! <3

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I love your chinese zine :) these are the same thoughts I have before starting something new but I'm sure you will learn some chinese calligraphy !!!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. So much love for this! Such an amazing idea to make a zine to work through something you are scared about, I am definitely going to try it :) thanks for the inspiration! <3

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Love your Dynamo labelling. Why are you going beijing??? That IS seriously brave vanessa.

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. This is brilliant. I love the back-and-forth. And I admire your bravery! What an exciting adventure ahead.

    RépondreSupprimer

Template designed by Rainy Day