jeudi 19 mars 2015

Get Messy Season of Love || 05

Oh I am smitten with the pages I am sharing with you today. I was not feeling the week 5 prompts, especially the one with the photo. I feel like I'm documenting myself a lot with my 52 portraits and Thursday3, so I didn't know how to approach that prompt. And then I did the test - about your love language - that was linked with the prompts and I knew I wanted to say something about that. Then it hit me, it does't have to be a photograph, what if I used...a photocopy:
 

BAM! I love how it turned out. I wrote out my sentiment with my label maker, added a couple of scraps from my pile and voilà!

 
I love how, in the photocopy, I seem to be emerging from the dark and that is an awesome metaphor for so much in my life.
 


My second spread, is inspired by this magnificent fabric I brought back from San Miguel de Allende. It's called Frida's Garden. I was thinking of Frida and the complicated love she shared with Diego Rivera and how she expressed that complexity in her art.
 

At first, I wanted to feature this quote that was attributed to her : 'Take a lover who looks at you like maybe you are magic'. But then, through the magic of Instagram and the good eye of the one and only Caylee Grey, I learned that Frida never said this. It's actually from a poem by Marty McConnell...poem that I love a thousand times more that just that excerpt!
 

I also heard Sia's most recent single 'Elastic Heart' and the chorus just hit home for 'You did not break me [...] I've got thick skin and an elastic heart' To me this, and the poem, speak of surviving heartbreak, of being your own person, of choosing your identity and being true to it even when you know the person isn't right for you. You can choose to see it through and then leave with no regrets.
 

Sia's song fit perfectly with this second piece of fabric. I lightly quilted the fabric unto cardstock which I then stapled into my art journal. I LOVE using staples in my spreads. And the small milagro hand on the bottom fits with another favorite part of the poem.
 

Here is the poem in its entirety. I love it and am so glad to discover this creative woman.
 
 
Frida Kahlo to Marty McConnell
by Marty McConnell
leaving is not enough; you must
stay gone. train your heart
like a dog. change the locks
even on the house he’s never
visited. you lucky, lucky girl.
you have an apartment
just your size. a bathtub
full of tea. a heart the size
of Arizona, but not nearly
so arid. don’t wish away
your cracked past, your
crooked toes, your problems
are papier mache puppets
you made or bought because the vendor
at the market was so compelling you just
had to have them. you had to have him.
and you did. and now you pull down
the bridge between your houses.
you make him call before
he visits. you take a lover
for granted, you take
a lover who looks at you
like maybe you are magic. make
the first bottle you consume
in this place a relic. place it
on whatever altar you fashion
with a knife and five cranberries.
don’t lose too much weight.
stupid girls are always trying
to disappear as revenge. and you
are not stupid. you loved a man
with more hands than a parade
of beggars, and here you stand. heart
like a four-poster bed. heart like a canvas.
heart leaking something so strong
they can smell it in the street.
 
 ***************************


Get Messy Art Journal is gang of crafty vixens who are sharing art journal pages we have created to practice our skills and push past our creative limits with hopes to inspire. We support and encourage one another on this journey of creating and learning and we would love for you to join us too.

4 commentaires:

  1. Im not going to lie. I immediately got up and went to the copier to try to do this. But I couldnt get it do my face, just my hand. Still so cool. I am always so inspired by how deep you dig for these and how you translate so many things into a page.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. ha ha! Maybe it needs to be an industrial type of copier? I can just picture you :)

      Supprimer
  2. Beautiful pages! I want to try using my sewing machine and some card stock. Thanks for sharing that idea. And brilliant to try the copier, that page turned out so eerily cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what you create next!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. thank you Sara. Sewing on paper is addictive. There are many possibilities and I like to explore. Because of the size of my journal, I can't always sew things in it directly, which is why I sew on the cardstock which I then glue or staple in.

      Supprimer

Template designed by Rainy Day