vendredi 20 mars 2015

Checking in with my OLW

 
 
I recently bought this wonderful, gorgeous and à propos print by Vanessa Perry. Incidentally, Vanessa has the same One Little Word as I do : commit. I'd thought I'd check in and see where this idea of commit is taking me.

Commit to this blog. I like the way this is going. I have consistently posted 4 to 5 times a week. I've instituted some recurring posts, like the Get Messy prompt pages on Thursdays, general art journaling on Fridays, my weekly contribution to V's 52 portraits on Saturdays.
 
Commit to learning Photoshop. This goes along with my blog and with my portraits. I have thoroughly enjoyed my forays into PSE. I'm starting to feel more comfortable using it.
 
Commit to my DSLR. As with the two above, the progress I've made with this is thanks to my portrait project. I've rediscovered my Nikon D90 and am starting to explore all its possibilities even more.
 
Commit to family. That one is easy. Game nights with the kids. Art play dates. Listening to their stories in the car going to and from school. Being present. Date nights with my husband. Even when we just stay in and watch House of Cards.
 
My daughter seems to think I'm doing all right:
 
translation : dear mom, I find you so awesome, you cook well, you are smart, generous, you are a really good mother! I am happy that the world chose you to be my mom xox [crying - I love her so much!]
 
Commit to my health. This is a double goal. One is going good and one not so much. I've committed to eating healthy meals. It's not like I was eating bad food before, but I am an emotional eater, so things would easily get out of hand. I've been pretty good about this one, with a few off moments, especially since returning from South Africa. Sticking mostly to veggies, lean meat and laying off the bread and potatoes.
 
The one that isn't doing so great is the exercise goal. I wanted to be active at least three times a week. I do Zumba on Mondays at work, which is great. My problem is that with two kids, a full-time job, homework and lots of commuting (2 1/2 hours a day), I don't have that much free time at home to exercise. And the free time I do have, I want to use to art journal and create. I'm hoping that as the snow melts, I'll find a way to incorporate more exercise, like going for a walk in the evening or something like that (I can't run, bad archaeologist knees!). I definitely need to work on that aspect.
 
All in all, I feel alright about where commit is taking me and -as my name sake mentions- I'm giving myself permission not to be perfect.
 
******************************
 
One Little Word is a project created by Ali Edwards where you choose a word and live with it for a year. Find out more here.
 
Vanessa Perry's shop is right here.

2 commentaires:

  1. OLW is a great thing, it's my first year and I love it!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I'm a little late to the party but oh my goodness - I am dying over your daughter's note! SO sweet! <3

    RépondreSupprimer

Template designed by Rainy Day