mercredi 31 décembre 2014

My One Little Word for 2015

Since 2012, following Ali Edward's example, I choose a word to focus on for the year. I think that it is such a great idea. I've never taken her OLW workshops or classes, because I feel I can live with my word without have the need for prompts and things like that. But in retrospect, I may need a reminder or a way to be deliberate about my word halfway through the year.

My word for 2014 was 'elevate' as in 'elevate the everyday'. I managed to keep that word in the forefront throughout most of the year. But certain events (mostly people passing away and major international moves) derailed a lot of the plans and projects that I had mapoped out for myself at the beginning of the year.

So in the spirit of actually getting things done and also of accounting for impossible to predict events, I'm keeping my goals and resolutions to zero. I will tackle projects as they come along instead of having a list of things to accomplish. I want to approach each project when it comes and make sure I finish it. It was while I was thinking of this that my One Little Word for 2015 popped into my head.

com·mit

 (kə-mĭt′)
v. com·mit·ted, com·mit·ting, com·mits
v.tr.
1. To do, perform, or perpetrate: commit a murder.
2. To put in trust or charge; entrust: commit oneself to the care of a doctor; commit responsibilities to an assistant.
3. To consign for future use or for preservation: We must commit the necessary funds for the project.
4. To place officially in confinement or custody, as in a mental health facility.
5. To put into a place to be disposed of or kept safe: committed the manuscript to the flames.
6.
a. To make known the views of (oneself) on an issue: I never commit myself on such issues.
b. To bind, obligate, or devote, as by a pledge: They were committed to follow orders. She committed herself to her art.
7. To refer (a legislative bill, for example) to a committee.
v.intr.
To pledge, obligate, or devote one's own self: felt that he was too young to commit fully to marriage.
Please disregard the example for the first definition!!
 
I want to commit :
-to this blog : better pictures, clearer content, more interaction with readers and other bloggers,
-to bettering my photo skills : I want to get to know my Nikon better
-to using Photoshop : to help with the above two points
-to my sanity : by spending time in my art journal
-to my creative community : through design and inspiration teams
-to empowering women : by participating in the Walk in Her Shoes campaign again
-to my family : by being present
-to my body : by treating it better that I have lately

I'm already very much into my word. I feel it's a perfect match for 2015. I'll be doing regular updates here on the blog, probably every two months.

Have you thought of a word to define or guide your year? I'd love to read it in the comments.
 

4 commentaires:

  1. I really love that word Vanessa. It's such a strong word. Happy New Year's Eve to you and your family and I'm looking forward to follow your journey in 2015 with your word.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Andrea! I think we share a few objectives with both our words...Thank you for inspiring me (and many others) with your word and blog. Happy 2015!! xo

      Supprimer
  2. Last year my word was "Balance".
    but without a class or clear idea about what I was going to do with it , it quickly faded winto the background.
    Until I started a new-to-me type of physical therapy for my fybromyalgia. It focusses more on the metal aspect of it and revolves all about... yes.. Balance.
    So without even looking for it, my word returned to me.

    For this year I haven't really chosen a word. I find it hard to pin all of the things I want to accomplish on one word.
    I haven't even made resolutions.
    Although a small list of intentions is building in my brain. I will have to get that on paper soon.
    I always try to not have to many things / projects because i'm not much of a finisher and unfinished projects haunt me.

    I love your word! And the intentions you have for using your word. I'm shure you will make great progress on them!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. How cool is that? I guess that is how you know you have found the right word. I,m the same for reslutions. I don,t do the because...I don't end up doing them! I like to see where the year will take me :)

      Supprimer

Template designed by Rainy Day