My word for 2014 was 'elevate' as in 'elevate the everyday'. I managed to keep that word in the forefront throughout most of the year. But certain events (mostly people passing away and major international moves) derailed a lot of the plans and projects that I had mapoped out for myself at the beginning of the year.
So in the spirit of actually getting things done and also of accounting for impossible to predict events, I'm keeping my goals and resolutions to zero. I will tackle projects as they come along instead of having a list of things to accomplish. I want to approach each project when it comes and make sure I finish it. It was while I was thinking of this that my One Little Word for 2015 popped into my head.
v. com·mit·ted, com·mit·ting, com·mits
1. To do, perform, or perpetrate: commit a murder.
2. To put in trust or charge; entrust: commit oneself to the care of a doctor; commit responsibilities to an assistant.
3. To consign for future use or for preservation: We must commit the necessary funds for the project.
4. To place officially in confinement or custody, as in a mental health facility.
5. To put into a place to be disposed of or kept safe: committed the manuscript to the flames.
a. To make known the views of (oneself) on an issue: I never commit myself on such issues.
b. To bind, obligate, or devote, as by a pledge: They were committed to follow orders. She committed herself to her art.
7. To refer (a legislative bill, for example) to a committee.
To pledge, obligate, or devote one's own self: felt that he was too young to commit fully to marriage.
I want to commit :
-to this blog : better pictures, clearer content, more interaction with readers and other bloggers,
-to bettering my photo skills : I want to get to know my Nikon better
-to using Photoshop : to help with the above two points
-to my sanity : by spending time in my art journal
-to my creative community : through design and inspiration teams
-to empowering women : by participating in the Walk in Her Shoes campaign again
-to my family : by being present
-to my body : by treating it better that I have lately
I'm already very much into my word. I feel it's a perfect match for 2015. I'll be doing regular updates here on the blog, probably every two months.
Have you thought of a word to define or guide your year? I'd love to read it in the comments.