dimanche 26 octobre 2014

Planner talk

So, like many other people, I'm jumping on the planner bandwagon and happy to do it. I've always had planners or engagement calendars or diaries or whatever they are called. For a long time, my favorites were the spiral bound ones I found on Pomegranate. I especially liked the Edward Gorey and Charlie Harper ones. But the pages are glossy and I got tired of that.

When I was in Hong Kong, I tried a couple of different ones. One was from a Korean company, it had different boxes that you could customise. I was doing great with it but burned out in April 2012. Plus, all my pens bled through and that turned me off. In 2013, I used a planner by Katie Daisy. I wrote about it here. Again, I was super into it until April and then it was jot jot jot. This summer, since we were relocating, I just kept a Field Notes notebook and wrote everything down in there.

In September, I started working again. So I don't have that many appointments to keep track of outside of work. I was winging it until October. This is a pretty busy month for me (2 kids' birthdays, an anniversary and Halloween) so I needed a place to put everything down. But I wanted it simple and easy. Then I found this planner on Etsy.



The most simple design ever. Nice and clean and big enough to put things down easily. Personally, I prefer that the Sunday be on the left, at the start of the week, but that isn't really a problem.
 

Then came the real test...do my pens go through the paper? I am happy to report that they do not! I LOVE that. So now, I have a perfect overview of the month and what is coming or going on. Plus I have a new home for my washi tape.
 

I'm really happy with this set up. It'll carry me until 2015.


What then? I bought the gorgeous Pretty Documented planner. I actually got both versions (floral and minimalist) so I can mix and match them. I am really excited to try out this format because of the fact that I can customise and print out only the pages I really need. Now I needed to find a binder to house these fabulous pages in. I am taking Ashley Goldberg's Paint Plan Play class which I hope will give me loads of tips so I don't burn out in April like I have for my other 'do it yourself' planners.

I looked at different companies and their offerings for binder type planners. Two stand out : Filofax and Kikki.k. Both of these companies offer binder planner covers in different sizes. I like the half-letter size. It's been quite a challenge to figure out what the terms 'A4/A5', 'large' and 'personal' mean in terms of size. I am really partial to Kikki.k's gorgeous gold rings. For the Filofax offerings, I like this floral cover one and also the Holborn Zip one.

But, you guys, these are all priced at 50 US$ and up! Plus I wouldn't even be using the inner pages that these come with. I think these are awesome for people who take these planners to meetings or to the office. Whereas mine will just be sitting, open, on my desk. I work in a Museum, in the physical anthropology laboratory, so I don't have meetings to attend and work related events that would warrant me spending that amount of money on a cover that I would never see. It's just not for me.

So even though I am really tempted by the planners above, I'm going to go for the Studio Calico Handbook planner that Ashley Goldberg designed. It's 18 US$, I know it'll lie flat and I love the size. Plus, I will actually use the page protectors included in it. I think the linen cover will be lovely with the Pretty Documented planner pages.

I'm just waiting for bundle shipping to start so I can include the planner with my Project Life kit. Have you found your ideal planner? Is there a better binder option I'm not aware of? Let me know!

2 commentaires:

  1. I love love to see how other people use their planners and it's so interesting to see what works for them.
    I haven't had a traditional planner for several years. I just don't have enough appointments anymore and don't have to do homework. So I use a ruled notebook as a simple version of the bullet journal.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. I know, same here. I do need a place to write down some appointments though. I'm thinking this new set up will inspire me to decorate too. We'll see.

      Supprimer

Template designed by Rainy Day