jeudi 9 octobre 2014

Get Messy || 16


Hello lovelies. I have some heartfelt pages to share today. They come from my Moleskine art journal and I'm sharing them from more recent to less recent. The first one is a homage to my father. He passed away suddenly last March. I made this page after realising that the 6 month mark had come and gone without my noticing. Life goes on, of course.
 


I wanted to layer some pieces, especially vellum, to show how words and memories fade.
 

We spread his ashes in the ocean off the coast of South Africa, in this ocean pictured here. It was truly a beautiful moment. I'm realising that mourning, like the tide, has an ebb and flow. Sometimes you carry it, sometimes it carries you.



The day before I made that page, I had a pity party just for me and this little person showed up in my journal.
 


 
I used oil pastels on acrylic which invites childlike drawing and I felt it was 'à propos' since I was feeling childish!


And finally, this page about Hong Kong. As you may or may not know, last week Hongkongers took to the streets to demand democratic reform from their leaders. When HK was given back to China by Britain, it was agreed that certain civil rights would be retained by HK, including the right to free elections for the Chief Executive in 2017. Last week, China's leaders went back on this promise and said they would approve of three candidates and that people would then vote for their preferred candidate...which is not democratic at all and would ensure Communist Party control.
 

The protest movement is called the Umbrella Revolution because the protestors are using umbrellas to protect themselves from the pepper spray used by police and from the torrential rains or beating sun.


I carved this stamp a few years ago. This is Hong Kong's waterfront.
 

It's difficult to be far when these important changes are happening in your adoptive city.
 

There you have it! Thank you for coming by and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.
 
**************
 
Get Messy is an art journal challenge where a gang of crafty vixens are sharing art journal pages we have created to practise our skills and push past our creative limits with hopes to inspire. We share our pages without restraint every week, and once a month we create around a prompt. Go check out these crazy talented ladies who are creating pages who each have a unique perspective and style. We will be sharing our work around social media so follow the hashtag #getmessyartjournal.

23 commentaires:

  1. I'm so sorry about the loss of your father. The page is so beautiful - what a lovely tribute.

    Each week, your pages are always so meaningful, and I love how you tie in current events. These journals will be so great to look back on some day! Xx

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Delaney. My art journal really is a visual diary...

      Supprimer
  2. your work is always so magical. I love that you share so deeply and so freely.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks you France! I'm glad that this is what people take away from what I do.

      Supprimer
  3. Am feeling the page about your Dad Vanessa, my Mum passed away last year and I found my self saying, ' hello Mummy,' the other day when the sun came out. We missed them but you're right life goes on.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Oh I know, it sneaks up on us, right? And it isn,t always sad, but there is that little twinge...

      Supprimer
  4. Beautiful, personal and very emotive. <3

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Oh, Vanessa. The depth of emotion in your pages always moves me so. The way you express in your journals is really unlike any other pages I have seen! Truly breathtaking. I also greatly appreciate your gorgeous use of colors and materials. I want to learn from you!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks dear Kara. How wonderful would it be to hold a really really Messy reunion! And have a workshop and create together as a group!

      Supprimer
  6. Dear Vanessa,
    my heart goes out to you for the loss of your father. *biggest gentles, tissue filled hugs your way*
    People say they know how you feel but unless they went through exact same loss, they don't. And even then, each parent, sibling, pet, child, friend loss is different. Hang in there, sweetie. As someone who lost her mom suddenly 3 years ago, I can tell you that with time it does get easier. Even though the pain never really goes away, it does become more dull, and soon the memories of our loved ones bring smiles instead of tears. <3

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Theres so much in these pages. Youre right SO heartfelt. First, your dads page is just beautiful. I love how the depths of the oceans speak to our souls. Next, I would like to attend my own pity party, Ive had quite a few this week. Third, that stamp is INSANE. Im SO impressed, do share your tips because it is so detailed and intricate. I truly believe journaling is one of the best ways to process our emotions and I am so beyond grateful that you shared them with us!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Lauren, you are welcome to attend my pity party anytime, we serve fish tacos! I will share about my stamp-carving process for sure.

      Supprimer
  8. The colours and the textures in these photos is absolutely beautiful! I love the pages with the ocean! Have a great weekend! xo Bec

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. Beautiful. But where do you find time to make so many pages each and every week? You are a machine!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. actually I neglect my kids. JUST KIDDING! I always carve out creating-time, right after the kids' homework is done. I am lucky that my job stays at the office and so when the kids are sleeping, I can play with my art goodies !

      Supprimer
  10. Wow. I love how strong you pages are. I love what each of them means to you. So much thought and passion. Sorry about your dad. I am not close to mine so I don't know what it is like.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks Cody. Actually my dad and I had a VERY complicated relationship and his death put a lot of that frustration and grief into perspective for me.

      Supprimer
  11. What an incredible bunch of pages this week. Each theme is so intense! I really love the homage to you father. What you said about noticing the day after it has passed... I really appreciated that. My step father passed 2 years ago quite suddenly, and some of my family member just won't 'go on.' The day becomes this huge ordeal every year. I would love it if everyone could just enjoy the memory of him. Your pages really touched me <3

    I also really love the style of drawing you did with the blue pages. I saw some of your doodles on instagram too! You have quite the hand :) Also, how did you carve the stamp on the last page? Or rather.. what did you carve it out of? I hope everything evens out in HK. I grew up in Vancouver and have tons of friends from there who are really upset about what's happening.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Oh Eliza, family ties are so complex, right? As time passes, I'm sure your family will find better ways to remember your step-dad and turn to positive memories. When things are fresh, it's hard sometimes to get perspective. Thanks for your comments on my stamp. I've had a couple people ask me about it so I think I'll make a blog post about my process. It's all quite easy. xo

      Supprimer
  12. (sorry for the typos. I'm on a bluetooth keyboard that keeps disconnecting >.<)

    RépondreSupprimer

Template designed by Rainy Day