jeudi 25 septembre 2014

Get Messy || 14 and a prompt reveal!


Hey hey heeeeyyy! Today I'm really excited to show my pages because we are revealing our take on the prompt for September. Here's a reminder of the prompt itself :

Journaling Challenge: Live your adventurous dreams on paper. What would you love to do, or at least try, if you had the courage to live more adventurously? I would, for example, like to live on a houseboat or a train wagon.

Art Challenge: Try a method or material you’ve never worked with before. Be adventurous!

I knew what my dream adventure would be, but I was really stumped by the second part of the prompt, the actual 'art challenge' part. I do try to master new techniques and try new things, but it's a fact that I always return to my paper, glue and scissors.

Then I saw this image on my Pinterest feed with the caption 'embroidered teabags' :



image by Kim Carter http://kimtextileart.tumblr.com/

I visited her site and fell in awe! in love! in wanting to embroider tea bags too! I love the texture that the teabags give to her pages. So here is my take on the prompt, using this technique and my sewing machine :


 In 2013, I went to visit my friend Jen Buck in the south of France. She and her husband Didier own and exploit a little winery called Colline de l'hirondelle. It was an amazing experience, a few days spent in a tiny French village called Douzens, where the streets are just wide enough for one car at a time, the sunlight is golden, you can swim in the river and stop by the market on the way back and the food is organic and tastes the way it should. Take a look :
 





 


 
I mean, really, how amazing does that look? Three days was not enough. It was such a treat to spend some time there after the craziness of Hong Kong. I would love living like that.
 

Back to the prompt : I chose two pages in my Autumn journal and placed the tea bags (for the record, these are used mint tea bags) on the pages without gluing them down.
 
 
I stitched the bags down with Marie-Antoinette my trusty sewing machine. Some of these stitch settings I had never used before so that was also part of the exploration. Because of the construction of the jornal, some place were hard for me to stitch in. For example, that stumped stem on the right.


I wanted to give an organic feel to the page by stitch drawing some grass and tall stems. I was going to try and draw flowers on the tea bags, but I ended up prefering not to do so. I love the look of the different colored thread.
 


I love the way the edges of the tea bags curl up, they add really great texture. I never would have tried this if it wasn't for the prompt.
 

I was going to write out my title with stitching, but I wasn't able to move my journal easily, so the 'I' became a kind of weird sun shape!
 

I LOVE the backside of the pages and the raw thread at the bottom.
 


Of course, sequins for the magic of that place and that memory.
 



Lost in the details...



Please go ahead and check out my lovely friend Jen's blog. It's bilingual and you'll be introduced to some fine, organic wine. Tell her I sent you :)

**************
 
Get Messy is an art journal challenge where a gang of crafty vixens are sharing art journal pages we have created to practise our skills and push past our creative limits with hopes to inspire. We share our pages without restraint every week, and once a month we create around a prompt. Go check out these crazy talented ladies who are creating pages who each have a unique perspective and style. We will be sharing our work around social media so follow the hashtag #getmessyartjournal.

16 commentaires:

  1. I want to sew on teabags too!!!! :D xo

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. This is beautiful. I adore the different stitches and colors of thread. I can feel the south of France in these pages!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks Violetta, wish I could go back right now!

      Supprimer
  3. Oh wow - amazing pages!! I love the idea of sewing onto teabags, and you did a great job with it! And those photos from the south of France are so very beautiful. :)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Tessa. It was fun, both the trip and the sewing!

      Supprimer
  4. I love the technique and the forms and colors you chose, so lovely!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. I loved the part of the prompt that makes you try new things!

      Supprimer
  5. So gorgeous and unique! I love it!!!

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. COME BACK! We miss you and your contagious joyful creativity! I STILL wish you were my neighbor. I love the sewn greenery. Thanks missy!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. I promise we will one day do the vendanges with you! On my bucket list love xxxx

      Supprimer
  7. I love your inspiration for these pages. And the sewing turned out so great! Bravo!

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. That is beautiful! Also that is a wonderful dream to live off the land, I'd love to try it myself one day.

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. Wow I love how your pages turned out!! I wish I had a sewing machine so I could try too. The embroidery+tea bag combo is kind of awesome. And just when I was wondering what the back of the sewed pages looked like, you through in a picture :)

    I haven't heard of Douzen, but now you've got me curious! If I do go I'll have to check out your friends winery for sure ^^ The pictures make it look like the quaintest little place. I can definitely see why you'd dream of that kind of life!

    RépondreSupprimer

Template designed by Rainy Day