mercredi 13 août 2014

About this space

I've already mentionned before that this blog is a space for me to share my creative endeavours and not a lifestyle blog. I just don't have the time or energy or even the will to update a blog that talks about my feelings on life, motherhood, work, home decorating, booklists and things of the sort (that is what my art journal is for!).
 
I use my Instagram account to show glimpses of my life and what's happening in it, combined with most of the creative things I work on. These last few weeks, a big change has been going on since we relocated from Hong Kong back to Gatineau. Clearly, that affects what I post on my feed. Last week I noticed that I lost a few followers. It's happened before and in general it's not that big a deal.
 
But some things have been bugging me lately. Being a part of the Get Messy tribe has been so wonderful for me. I've bathed in creativity for the last two months. I look at everyone's pages each week, whether they are on IG, Pinterest or on people's blogs. I take the time to comment and like. I understand that not everyone has the time to do this and that, regardless of this fact, most people do take the time to look at what other members have done, but when I see no comments after a blog post, it gets me down.
 
So the Roosevelt quote really resonated with me when I noticed the change in numbers on my IG feed. But then I decided to put things in perspective. First of all, who am I creating for? An audience or myself? Myself. Second, as stated above, I don't have time to nourish my blog the way others do, especially these days when all we are doing is unpacking and settling in. Plus, my blog isn't even of the same nature as some of the other blogs I've been comparing mine to. And have I mentionned I just moved halfway across the globe? Some people may very well not be interested in my life outside of Hong Kong.
 
So, in my very own style of dealing with things, I made a journal page about it.
 

And now I feel much better. Thanks for letting me vent!

7 commentaires:

  1. I am reading and watching. I don't comment a lot. Sometimes it's because I don't know what you've said. Lol English is my only language for now. But I love seeing your art and your travels. Keep doing what you love and the people who love it will watch. Those who don't will stop watching. And that's okay for you and for them.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. THANK YOU! Hee hee, it's true that I've been 'frenching' more since we came back ;) It does feel good to know that you're not talking to a blank space. thanks, Trish

      Supprimer
  2. I look at your pages every week, and they are among my absolute favorites. I sometimes feel weird about commenting on the blogs of those whose work I love, because I feel like I can't say something worthy of the awesomeness I see. Like, my comments every week would be, "I love this. I LOVE this. I love this!" :D

    Your post here resonates with me, and I'm going to make more of an effort to comment on people's blog posts. It's easy to feel insignificant as a reader, like one's comment couldn't possibly matter to someone so talented, but that's silly! Every writer likes to know their readers care.

    Your style is so real, graphic, beautiful and raw. I adore it and feel inspired every week. Screw "lifestyle" blogs anyway, they're so packaged and carefully curated into oblivion. I'd rather see someone out living their life, and sharing gorgeous slices of it with us, than suspect someone's at the computer 16 hours a day, fretting about their image.

    You're doing it RIGHT.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Ah Violetta, thank you! I am so happy I actually wrote this post - I did hesitate to put it out there because I don't want to sound petulant- I am glad to see who come around this space. I hadn't thought about the fact that some people may feel their comments are not up to par. I enjoyed reading your comments on Caylee's blog yesterday. I think that what everyone has to say is important and discussion is good always. I agree completely with your last sentence above :)

      Supprimer
  3. I totally get you. I think the key to not get frustrated/negative feelings is to just focus on yourself. do, what YOU love, write about what YOU want, share on your blog what YOU want. I truly believe, that you'll get noticed by the right people when you believe in what you're doing.

    Reading blogs in my feedly is one part but I try to visit all the blogs and write a comment. I work on this all the time. And some days it's easier and some days not. I hate commenting on my phone (which I do now because I'm on vacation) so I mostly do it at home in the evening.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Andrea, you are a regular commenter here and on other media. Your comments are always appreciated and to the point. Thank you for that!

      Supprimer
  4. I always LOVE your pages and I think it's great that you used art journaling to process your frustration. As always, they are stunning and thanks for sharing with us!

    RépondreSupprimer

Template designed by Rainy Day