mardi 8 juillet 2014

Essential paper

Yesterday, I showed you my essential tools. Today I wanted to show my essential types of paper fodder. You've seen a lot of these in my photos and most of my papers are now travelling on the ocean, but I've got some examples of each type of paper I use in my art journals.

Here you have the basics : colored cardstock, wrapping paper (with the feathers), scrapbooking paper, wallpaper, paper bags and envelopes (not pictured) and washi paper (top left). These papers are ones that I use as a base. Many times, I'll cut out letters from the cardstock. I will reuse packaging forever : that striped paper bag will become a cool pocket in my journal or I will trim it and put it in my Project life album or I'll punch out circles from it. Wrapping paper is a great choice, it is usually thick and you can get a big piece of the pattern you like. Washi paper is a traditional, handmade japanese paper ('washi' means japanese paper) made from various types of fibers including bamboo and rice. They are sublime and one of the highlights of my trip to Tokyo last year.


Other types of paper that regularly go in my collage pile : magazine pages, vellum, transparencies, vintage labels and photos, wallpaper, ribbon and tags. I'm always on the lookout for interesting magazine photoshoots. I tear them out and store them in a box for future use. Every few months, I do a paper purge so I can see what I have and choose what to keep and what to throw away. The ribbon is from a pretty package I got. The tag with the xo's is from my friend Elizabeth Rosemond's shop (she has great items). For my wallpaper packs, I go here and for my vintage photo packs, I go here.
 

Finally, I also use old calendars, vintage papers, labels, magazine titles, alphabet stickers, doilies (not pictured), Instax and vintage pictures. I bought the Rifle Paper co calendar at 50% off just so I could cut it up and use the pictures :) I have a nice collection of old or vintage papers. Most come from two sources : Saturday am Vintage and Katie Licht. The handdrawn label is from the wonderful and inspiring Mary Ann Moss. At 12$, these are a steal and you'll have an instant collection of cool lables in various sizes. The gold label is from a Studio Calico kit. Finally, as I'm scanning magazine pages for cool images, I also keep and eye out for interesting typography or titles to use in my collages.


So this is just a quick run through of some of my favorite types of papers. I also love mulberry paper, acetate, foil, etc. As I've said already...I never throw anything out, so anything can become part of my art journal!

2 commentaires:

  1. your paper collection is awesome.
    Where do your store those bits and pieces?

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Great question Andrea. I have one of those three tiered letter trays from Ikea. I keep the paper bits in that from smallest to biggest top to bottom. Anything smaller than 2-3 inches I either use right away or recycle. I have a box for my vintage papers, I keep the photos and the curated packs in the bags they came in since they differ in style and are sometimes sorted by color too. Magazine pages go in a different box. Scrpbooking paper goes in vertical paper holders by type (cardstock, season, theme). Sorry I don't have any pictures to show :)

      Supprimer

Template designed by Rainy Day