lundi 30 décembre 2013

Some thoughts on things to come and my One Little Word

So it's that time where we take stock of what has transpired during the past year and what we can look forward to in the year to come. 2013 was a good year for me, really good. I travelled a lot (both with my family and with friends), we had friends and family visitng us, I managed to make creativity a part of my daily life, I ran my little Etsy shop and sponsored 30 Days of Lists, I managed to stay focused on my health (which was my One Little Word for the year) and be in the present moment.

One Little Word is a project created by Ali Edwards. You choose a word that you want to focus on for the year. Learn more here.

I've been thinking a lot about 2014 and what it will bring. The biggest change is the fact that we will be leaving Hong Kong in the summer. Not sure where we will end up, but the fact remains that HK will no longer be where we live. This is a big step for me. As an archaeologist, I grow roots. I get used to where I am living, I see the good and bad...and I find it hard to leave. So 2014, will definitely be tainted with this feeling of saying goodbye to this great city.

The impact of leaving HK extends to my lifestyle too. Here, I only work part-time, so I have time to explore different mediums, play with paint, pencils and photography, work on Project Life, bookbind and other creative endeavors. But if we go back to Canada, I will hopefully be back to working full-time, which means I will sometimes be frustrated by the absence of daily creativity. We'll see.

All this to say that I have been thinking a lot about my One Little Word for 2014 and it came to me earlier this week. I was kicking around a few words : dig deeper, focus, push, let go, follow-through. These words felt wrong because 1- they are mostly two-word expressions (ha!) and 2- they felt too narrow for what I was trying to express. then it hit me when I was looking at a friend's IG feed.

My OLW is : elevate.

The hashtag used by my friend for her Big Picture Classes was 'elevate the everyday'. And there you have it. The perfect word for what I'm trying to say.

I want to elevate:
- my commitment to my family : be there for them, be a good mother, a good wife, a good friend, in the moment and beyond
- my creative stance : I want to learn new things, go deeper into expressing what I need to say, both in my art journaling and in other creative outlets.
- my ideas : I want to try my hand at designing my own Project Life cards (more on that in another post) and get the skills to be able to bring this to fruition. I want to nourish this blog, I want to think about and develop an identity and a brand.
- my contribution to my life and to that of those around me.

I've already started to look into some of these ideas and it feels good.

Have any of you put some thought into your One Litlle Word for the coming year?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Template designed by Rainy Day