lundi 13 mai 2013

Bookbinding makes me happy!

I finally received my brand new bookbinding tool : a japanese screw punch. This tool helps to make clean, round holes in paper and in book spines. I gathered up some papers and my book covers.
 
I decided to start smaller than the book in the picture above, with a 6 x 8 book, an old white hymnal. I had to reinforce the inside part of the spine. I added some book tape.


 
Then I cut my papers to size.

 
And arranged them in signatures. A signature is made up of a certain number of folios. A folio is one page folded in two. For this book, I have 4 signatures of 7 folios each.


 
I did all my page preparation (folding and signature mounting) in one go.
 
 
Then I punched the holes for the binding.
 
 
In the leftover paper, I punched out labels and circles.

 
I even like the look of these scraps.

 
I then punched the holes in the spine of the book.

 
The screw punch makes really clean-edged holes and that makes the act of binding a lot faster and easier.

 
Here's how it looks all bound up. I learned this technique from Mary Ann Moss in her 'Full Tilt Boogie' course (follow the 'Dispatch from LA' link on the blog list)



 
I used a mix of old calendar pages, scrapbooking paper, watercolor paper, and tracing paper.












 
I left the inside covers bare so the person buying the book can cover them as they wish.



 
I love the result, fresh and colorful for summer. You can find this journal in my Etsy shop. Follow the link in the 'Etsy' tab at the top of the page.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Template designed by Rainy Day